You could reach for that sweatshirt but, trust us, you'll love this sweater more. Its snuggly warmth trumps any store-bought hoodie and customizing the colors let you tailor it to your own style. It is made the traditional way, with steeks, so here is your chance to show off your bravado and cut your knitted fabric! Pascal is knit from the bottom up in the round, with the sleeves joining the body at the armholes to make the yoke that is worked up to the neck. Once that is done, you reinforce the stitches at the front center and then . . . cut! Once the front is opened, stitches are picked up and worked in short rows for the collar and button bands. The colorwork is done following very large, clear charts and full instructions are given for steeking. The chest measurements are the same for the men's and women's versions but the sleeve and body lengths differ plus the women's version has shaping at the waist. Finished chest measurements are 34.75 (39.5, 44, 48.5, 53.25, 57.75)". It can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn Tweed has assigned this Gudrun Johnston design a skill level rating of 5 out of 5 (advanced).
Pascal is shown in Quarry, made by Brooklyn Tweed. This is a chunky weight yarn that is softly spun to mimic the look of unspun yarn but with more strength. It knits into a lofty and light but very warm and fuzzy fabric. In this sweater, it is knit at 3.5 stitches per inch in stockinette.
For this project you will need:
- Brooklyn Tweed Quarry:
for men's version--6 (6, 7, 8, 9, 9) skeins main color and 1 skein each of two accent colors
for woment's version--6 (6, 7, 7, 8, 9) skeins main color and 1 skein each of two accent colors
- 32" circular needle in US size 10 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the size above to get gauge, adjust the needles below correspondingly.
- 16" circular needle in US size 10
- double pointed needles in US size 10
- 32" circular needle in US size 10.5
- double pointed needles in US size 10.5
- 32" circular needle in US size 9
- double pointed needles in US size 9
- stitch markers in 3 colors, including unique one for BOR
- stitch holders or waste yarn
- 5 buttons (1.75" toggles shown)
- for steeks: either sewing machine / needle and thread to match main color or size H-8 crochet hook and small amount of matching sport weight yarn (not superwash)
- T-pins for blocking (optional)
- tapestry needle
All Brooklyn Tweed patterns are printed on Forest Stewardship Council-certified, acid-free paper.