The double-wide version of Strauch's 405 carder has all the great features of the regular 405 carder but with drums that are twice as wide. This version of the carder is capable of producing bats that are 15" x 22". The large drum has a diameter of 7" and a width of 15.25". It has 128 teeth per inch, which will work for a broad range of fibers, including Merino wool, llama, alpaca, and other exotic fibers. The small drum, dubbed the "slicker licker," has a 2" diameter, 16" width, and broad, straight teeth to reduce build-up on the smaller drum. The 5:1 drum ratio means that there is more carding action per revolution of the drum for faster blending. The mechanism is chain driven, so there is no slippage. The wooden frame is ash with a tung oil finish and has a footprint of 24" x 18.5". The 6" high side pieces are tall enough to allow the crank handle to turn completely without hitting the table surface.
The 405 double wide carder includes all of the accessories that come with the regular 405 carder:
- a Doffer/Cleaner Brush to thoroughly and easily clean any residual fibers from the carding dru
- the popular Knuckle-Saving-Batt-Pick, an invaluable tool for removing the batt without damage to the equipment or the user
- a small cleaner/dabber brush for use on the licker drum
- the Brush Attachment to hold fibers down; especially useful for fine fibers
- a teasing tool to open locks prior to carding
- table clamps to anchor the carder to the work surface
The manual version of this carder can be later upgraded to the motorized version. Please contact us for more information about this.
The Strauch carders come with a lifetime guarantee covering all labor should readustment, repair, replacement, or modification be required. They are made in New Castle, Virginia.