Knit the Redshift Shawl and you will have completed a master class in innovative construction techniques. It is knit in the round using the Fair Isle technique for 2-colors. It decreases as you go to form a cone, with a line of stitches for the steek.. Once is it done, you secure the stitches in a line from base to point and then cut open the cone to form a triangle. Stitches are worked from a provisional cast on as well as picked up for the garter stitch edgings. The pattern is worked from a large full-color chart. The shawl measures 63.5" across the top and 30" to the lower point. It can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn Tweed has assigned this Jared Flood design a skill level rating of 5 out of 5 (Advanced!).
Redshift uses Brooklyn Tweed's fingering weight wool called Loft. Loft is a woolen-spun wool that has a soft, fuzzy texture after wet blocking and makes a warm shawl that is lightweight for its volume. The pattern is found in the Brooklyn Tweed book Woolens: A Book of Knitted Accessories by Jared Flood. The book includes 11 patterns for scarves, cowls, shawls, and hats all using the Brooklyn Tweed yarns.
The kit includes the pattern book Woolens and yarn. For this project you will also need:
- 32" circular needles in US size 6 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the size above to get gauge, adjust the needles below correspondingly.
- 24" circular needle in US size 6 (same size as above)
- double point needles in US size 6 (same size as above)
- two 32" circular needles in US size 5 (one size smaller than above)
- stitch markers
- US size F-5 crochet hook and smooth waste yarn for provisional cast-on
- T-pins for blocking
- blocking wires (optional)
- either crochet hooks USF-5 and E-4 or needle and sewing thread to match main color to secure steeks
- needle and thread in main color to sew cut edges down
- tapestry needle
Redshift is shown in Loft colors 135 Cinnabar as the main color and 102 Woodsmoke as the accent. If you would like your shawl to be in these colors, simply order the kit above. If you would like to pick your own colors, see our Loft page to view the options. Then return to this page, order the kit, and tell us your color choices in the box above. Please specify which is the main color.