Peaks has a bold geometric design that can evoke icy mountain tops in the colors shown or give a completely different look in bright, saturated colors. The terrific final result on this sweater is a reflection of the refined techniques used: Fair Isle knitting, tubular cast-on, ribbed cast-on, steeks, and grafting. Not familiar with all of these techniques? That's okay--Brooklyn Tweed patterns have detailed instructions for each step. The sleeves and body are knit in the round from the bottom up. At the armholes, they are joined and the yoke is worked upward to the neck with raglan shaping for the shoulders. A steek is worked for the neck opening. The collar is knit in two pieces that are joined and then sewn in place. Peaks was designed to be slightly oversized, worn with 3-5" of ease. The finished chest measurements are 40.5 (43, 48, 50.5, 55.5, 58)" with lengths of 25 (25.75, 27.75, 28, 29.75, 30)". The sweater can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn tweed rates this Jared Flood design as skill level 5 of 5 (advanced).
Peaks uses Brooklyn Tweed's Shelter, a worsted-weight wool and the first yarn designed by Brooklyn Tweed. It is a a woolen-spun yarn with a soft hand and slight fuzzy halo after wet blocking. It makes a warm, cozy sweater that is lightweight for its size.
The kit includes the pattern and yarn. For this project you will also need:
- 32" circular needle in US size 8 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)If you adjusted the needle size above to get gauge, adjust the needle sizes below accordingly
- 24" circular needle in US size 8
- double point needles in US size 8 (or use 32" circular for magic loop method)
- 32" circular needle in US size 9
- double point needles in US size 9 (or use 32" circular for magic loop method)
- 32" circular needle in US size 5
- double point needles in US size 5 (or use 32" circular for magic loop method)
- 32" circular needle in US size 4
- double point needles in US size 4 (or use 32" circular for magic loop method)
- 3 stitch markers, each a different color
- locking stitch marker
- stitch holders or waste yarn
- T-pins for blocking (optional)
- tapestry needle
Peaks is shown in Shelter main color 80 Narwhal and accent 82 Newsprint. If you would like your sweater to be in these colors, simply order the kit above using the pull-down menu to select the size. If you would like to pick your own colors, see our Shelter page to view the options. Then return to this page, order the kit, and tell us your color choices in the box above. Please specify which is the main color.