A note from Brooklyn Tweed: "Women's fourth size uses almost all of seven skeins. You may wish to consider purchasing an extra skein for safety due to variations in individual work."
This is the sweater you'll reach for on a dreary cold day. You'll sink into its thick wooly warmth and rich colors and suddenly, nothing seems as bad! It is made the traditional way, with steeks, so here is your chance to show off your bravado and cut your knitted fabric! Pascal is knit from the bottom up in the round, with the sleeves joining the body at the armholes to make the yoke that is worked up to the neck. Once that is done, you reinforce the stitches at the front center and then . . . cut! Once the front is opened, stitches are picked up and worked in short rows for the collar and button bands. The colorwork is done following very large, clear charts and full instructions are given for steeking. Finished chest measurements are 34.75 (39.5, 44, 48.5, 53.25, 57.75)" with lengths of 26 (26.5, 27.75, 28, 29.25, 29.5)". It can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn Tweed has assigned this Gudrun Johnston design a skill level rating of 5 out of 5 (advanced).
Pascal is shown in Quarry, made by Brooklyn Tweed. This is a chunky weight yarn that is softly spun to mimic the look of unspun yarn but with more strength. It knits into a lofty and light but very warm and fuzzy fabric. In this sweater, it is knit at 3.5 stitches per inch in stockinette.
The kit includes the pattern and yarn. For this project you will also need:
- 32" circular needle in US size 10 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the size above to get gauge, adjust the needles below correspondingly.
- 16" circular needle in US size 10
- double pointed needles in US size 10
- 32" circular needle in US size 10.5
- double pointed needles in US size 10.5
- 32" circular needle in US size 9
- double pointed needles in US size 9
- stitch markers in 3 colors, including unique one for BOR
- stitch holders or waste yarn
- 5 buttons (1.75" toggles shown)
- for steeks: either sewing machine / needle and thread to match main color or size H-8 crochet hook and small amount of matching sport weight yarn (not superwash)
- T-pins for blocking (optional)
- tapestry needle
Pascal is shown in Quarry color 220 Serpentine as the main color, with 239 Sandstone and 226 Citrine as the accents. If you would like your sweater to be in these colors, simply order above using the pull-down menu to select the size. If you would like to pick your own colors, see our Quarry page to view the options. Then return to this page, order the kit, and tell us your three color choices in the box above. Please specify which is the main color.
Please note: Pascal is offered in a women's version and a men's version. The chest measurements are the same but the sleeve and body lengths differ. In addition, there is shaping at the waist on the women's version.