If you are an adventurous beginner, you can knit a sweater! Jared Flood of Brooklyn Tweed created this easy sweater to be accessible to the beginning knitter who has basic skills but hasn't knit a garment before. But it will appeal to more advanced knitters, too, because it is knit in the round with no seams to finish. It is worked top-down, too, so you can try it on as you work to gauge the correct length. Short rows give the neck a comfortable fit and the shoulders are raglan shaped. Stitches for the sleeves are put on hold while the body is completed and then the sleeves are worked from the armholes down. The sweater has bloused sleeves and a loose body fit, but alternate instructions s are offered in a free companion addendum that give the sweater a slimmer sleeve and tapered body. The finished chest measurements are 35.5 (39.5, 43.5, 47.5, 51.5, 55.5, 59.5, 63.5, 67.5, 71.5, 75.5)" with finished lengths of 19.75 (20, 20.5, 21, 21.5, 22, 22.5, 22.75, 23.5, 23.75, 24)". It can be hand washed and dried flat.
My First Raglan uses Brooklyn Tweed's yarn Tones, 3-ply woolen-spun yarn that is lightweight but warm. Tones is dyed in pairs, with each color shown in a light, bright version and a dark, subtle version. It knits at a worsted weight and is knit at 5 stitches per inch in stockinette stitch in this sweater.
The kit includes the pattern and enough yarn to make either version of the hat. You will also need:
- 32" circular needle in US size 7 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGEIf you changed needle size above to get gauge, adjust needle sizes below
- double point needles in US size 3
- 16" circular needle in US size 7
- 32" circular needle in US size 5
- 16" circular needle in US size 5
- double point needles in US size 5
- for 35.5" and 39.5" sizes only: double point needles in US size 7
- 4 stitch markers, including one unique one for beginning of round
- waste yarn to act as stitch holders
- tapestry needle
My First Raglan is shown in Tones color 901 Baseline Overtone. If you would like your kit to be in this color, simply order the kit above. If you would like a different color, please see our Tones page for the options. Then return to this page, order the kit, and tell us in the box above which color you would like.