A note from Brooklyn Tweed: "The second size used exactly 12 skeins. You may wish to consider purchasing an extra skein for safety due to variations in individual work."
Ivon is an ideal layering piece, to go over a light tee in the spring or over a turtleneck and vest in the middle of winter. It has a simple shape but doesn't stint on detail. The sleeve ribbing has a unique crescent shape, thanks to German short rows. The front bands have facings for a superior finish. The sleeves caps are shaped using short rows for a good fit. This is an advanced project but one that will teach you a variety of new techniques that you'll have in your toolkit for the next time.
Ivon was designed to be roomy, and can be worn either open or closed. It was designed to fit chest measurements of 30-34 (34-38, 38-42, 42-46, 46-50, 50-54). The finished measurements across the back at bust/chest are 20.5 (22.5, 24.5, 26.5, 28.5, 30.5)" with lengths of 28.25 (29, 30, 30.75, 31.75, 32.5)". The sweater can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn tweed rates this Veronik Avery design as skill level 5 of 5 (advanced).
Ivon was designed using Brooklyn Tweed's Shelter, a worsted-weight wool and the first yarn designed by Brooklyn Tweed. It is a woolen-spun yarn so it is lofty, for a lightweight but warm sweater. Wet blocking gives it a soft hand and slight fuzzy halo. Shelter is a worsted weight yarn and is knit at 5 stitches per inch in stockinette in this design.
The kit includes the pattern and yarn. For this project you will also need:
- 32" circular needle or single point needles in US size 7 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the needle size above to get gauge, adjust the needle sizes below accordingly
- 32" circular needle in US size 6
- 16" circular needle in US size 7
- 16" circular needle in US size 6
- optional, for tubuar cast on only, 32" circular or straight needles in US size 5
- stitch markers
- stitch holders or waste yarn for reserving stitches
- one double point needle in US size 5
- stitch holders or waste yarn for holding stitches
- optional: 60-68" grosgrain ribbon and needle and thread
- optional: similar color in sock yarn for seaming
- T-pins for blocking
- tapestry needle
Ivon is shown in Shelter color 2 Woodsmoke. If you would like your sweater to be in this color, simply order the kit above using the pull-down menu to select the size. If you would like to pick your own color, see our Shelter page to view the options. Then return to this page, order the kit, and tell us your color choice in the box above.