Happy 50th Anniversary to Yarn Barn!
To celebrate, our friend Cheryl Murray, noted for her designs in Vogue Knitting, has created this hat and mitts set for us, featuring a flock of sheep inspired by our logo. Both the hat and mitts are worked from the bottom up, beginning with 2/2 rib. The colorwork is done using the stranded technique, following large full-color charts. A gusset is worked to shape the thumb. The hat and mitts are sized for an adult, with hat measurements of 19" around x 10.5" high and mits of 7.5" around the hand x 8" long. Measurements are taken with fabric relaxed.
The Anniversary Sheep Set is designed for Nature Spun Worsted, by Brown Sheep Yarn Company. Yarn Barn was one of the first shops to carry Brown Sheep yarns, so it seemed appropriate. Nature Spun Worsted is a 100% wool yarn that knits at 4.75 stitches per inch in stranded stockinette in the hat and 6 stitches per inch for the mitts. It can be hand washed and dried flat.
For this project you will need:
- Nature Spun Worsted: I skein each of 3 colors
- 16" circular needle in US size 7 OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE
- 16" circular needle in US size 6
- double point needles in US size 7
- double pointed needles in US size 6
- 2 stitch markers
- stitch holder or waste yarn
- (optional) pompom maker or faux fur pompom
- tapestry needle
The set is shown in Nature Spun Worsted colors 46 Red Fox, 730 Natural, and 800 Black Oak.