Show off your style and knitting skills with Jared Flood's cardigan inspired by origami. It combines a demure stockinette stitch body with a dramatic brioche stitch peplum, collar, and lapels. You start by knitting the peplum in two pieces that are joined using a variation on a 3-needle bind off. Stitches are picked up from the peplum and worked upward for the body. The sleeves are knit in the round from the cuff up to the cap, which is finished flat, and then sewn in to the armholes. The collar and lapels are worked in two pieces, joined, and then sewn to the body. Finished chest measurements are 32.5 (37, 40.5, 45, 48.5, 53)". The sweater can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn Tweed has assigned this Jared Flood design a skill level rating of 4 out of 5 (adventurous intermediate).
Sonobe is knit using Arbor, one of Brooklyn Tweed's yarns made entirely in the US from 100% Targhee wool. It is a DK weight yarn that is made using three worsted-spun plies that are firmly twisted together, creating a smooth yarn with the crisp stitch definition to show off the brioche stitch.
For this project you will also need:
- 10 (11, 12, 14, 15, 16) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor
- 32" circular needle in US size 6 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the size above to get gauge, adjust the needles below correspondingly.
- single point needles or 32" circular needle in US size 5
- double point needles in US size 3
- optional: for 1x1 tubular cast on, 32" circular or single point needles in US size 4
- optional: for 2x2 tubular cast on, double point needles in US size 2
- stitch holder or waste yarn
- locking stitch markers in 3 different colors
- if using tubular cast on only: smooth sport weight waste yarn and cable needle
- T-pins for blocking
- tapestry needle
Sonobe is shown in Arbor color 495 Driftwood.
All Brooklyn Tweed patterns are printed on Forest Stewardship Council-certified, acid-free paper.