Nicola is all about diagonals. Diagonal latticework covers the front and back. The dramatic garter stitch ribbing rises to a peak at both the front and back centerline of the body and at the cuffs as well. The raglan shoulder shaping bounds the latticework on the diagonal. The front, back, and sleeves are worked flat and then joined. The cables are worked against a stockinette background following a charted pattern. Stitches are picked up and worked in the round for the garter stitch funnel neck collar. Nicola was designed to be only slightly oversized, worn with 3-4" of ease. The finished chest measurements are 32.25 (37, 42.75, 48.5, 54)" with lengths of 21.5 (22.5, 24, 24.75, 26.5)". The sweater can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn tweed rates this Veronik Avery design as skill level 4 of 5 (adventurous intermediate).
Nicola is shown in Brooklyn Tweed's Shelter, a worsted-weight wool and the first yarn designed by Brooklyn Tweed. It is a a woolen-spun yarn so it is lofty, for a lightweight but warm sweater. Wet blocking gives it a soft hand and slight fuzzy halo. Shelter is a worsted weight yarn and is knit at 5 stitches per inch in stockinette for Nicola.
For this project you will need:
- Brooklyn Tweed Shelter: 10 (11, 13, 14, 16) skeins
- 32" circular needle or single point needles in US size 7 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the needle size above to get gauge, adjust the needle sizes below accordingly
- 32" circular needle or single point needles in US size 6
- for tubular cast on (optional): 32" circular needle in US size 5
- stitch markers
- cable needle
- similar color in sock yarn for seaming (optional)
- T-pins for blocking (optional)
- for tubular cast on (optional): smooth DK or sport weight waste yarn and spare size 4 needle
- tapestry needle
Nicola is shown in Shelter color 33 Tartan.
All Brooklyn Tweed patterns are printed on Forest Stewardship Council-certified, acid-free paper.