Who wouldn't love to have a hat like this? It is simple, functional, and has a fun jolt of color. The hat is worked from the bottom up in the round, following a large chart for the colorwork. The pattern gives you expert tips on getting the best result when using two colors. The hat measures 8.5" high and 19" around. It can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn Tweed has assigned this Julie Hoover design a skill level rating of 3 out of 5.
Sommer uses Brooklyn Tweed's fingering weight wool called Loft. Loft is a woolen-spun wool that has a soft, fuzzy texture after wet blocking and makes a warm hat that is lightweight for its volume.
For this project you will need:
1 skein each of 5 colors of Brooklyn Tweed Loft
- 16" circular needles in US size 4 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the size above to get gauge, adjust the needles below correspondingly.
- double point needles or 32" circular needle for magic loop in US size 4 (same size as above)
- 16" circular needle in US size 5 (one size larger than above)
- 16" circular needle in US size 1 (three sizes smaller than above)
- optional: for tubular cast one, 16" circular needle in US size 0 (four sizes smaller than above)
- stitch markers, including a distinctive one for beginning of round
- tapestry needle