Woodfords is a drop-shoulder cardigan that is made in a unique way. It is worked from the top down in one piece, starting across the upper back, with stitches picked up and worked downward for the fronts. Short-row shaping throughout gives the sweater a flattering fit. Horizontal braids are worked where different sections of fabric join for both decorative effect and functional support. Stitches are picked up and worked downward for the sleeves. Woodfords is designed to be worn with 4-6" of ease. Finished chest measurements are 34.5 (37.25, 41.5, 45.5, 49.75, 52.5, 56.75)" with finished back lengths of 27.25 (28, 28.25, 29, 30.5, 31.5, 32.75)". The sweater can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn Tweed has assigned this Elizabeth Doherty design a skill level rating of 4 out of 5.
Woodfords uses Brooklyn Tweed's fingering weight wool called Loft. Loft is a woolen-spun wool that has a soft, fuzzy texture after wet blocking and makes a warm sweater that is lightweight for its volume.
The kit includes the pattern and yarn. For this project you will also need:
- 16" circular needles in US size 5 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the size above to get gauge, adjust the needles below correspondingly.
- 24" circular needle in US size 5 (same size as above)
- 40" circular needle in US size 5 (same size as above)
- double point needles in US size 5 (same size as above)
- 40" circular needle in US size 3 (two sizes smaller than above)
- 40" circular needle in US size 6 (one size larger than above)
- 40" circular needle in US size 7 (two sizes larger than above)
- stitch markers
- locking stitch markers
- US size F-5 crochet hook and smooth waste yarn for provisional cast-on
- T-pins for blocking
- tapestry needle
Woodfords is shown in Loft color 101 Fossil. If you would like your sweater to be in this color, order the kit above using the pull-down menu to select your size. If you would like to pick your own color, see our Loft page to view the options. Then return to this page, order the kit, and tell us your color choice in the box above.