Koto has a loose, comfortable fit but looks sharp not sloppy thanks to the articulated rib stitch worked throughout and smart shaping that flatters. The lower hem at the back dips below the front and is worked using short-row shaping. Short rows also shape the neck and shoulders. The sleeve cuffs and collar are worked with facings for a better fit and more stable structure. Koto is designed to be worn with 8-10" of ease. Finished chest measurements are 42.25 (44, 46.25, 48, 52, 56)" with finished back lengths of 28 (28.25, 28.5, 28.75, 29.25, 30)". The sweater can be hand washed and dried flat. Brooklyn Tweed has assigned this Olga Buraya-Kefelian design a skill level rating of 4 out of 5.
Koto uses Shelter, a worsted-weight wool and the first yarn designed by Brooklyn Tweed. It is a a woolen-spun yarn with a soft hand and slight fuzzy halo after wet blocking. It makes a warm sweater that is lightweight for its size.
The kit includes the pattern and yarn. For this project you will also need:
- 32" circular needle in US size 7 (OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE)
If you adjusted the size above to get gauge, adjust the needles below correspondingly.
- 16" circular needle in US size 7
- double point needles in US size 7
- 32" circular needle in US size 6
- 16" circular needle in US size 6
- double point needles in US size 6
- crochet hook in US H-8
- contrast color worsted-weight waste yarn for provisional cast-on
- (optional) firmly twisted fingering-weight yarn in a similar color for seaming
- stitch markers
- removable stitch markers
- waste yarn or stitch holders
- T-pins for blocking
- tapestry needle
Koto is shown in Shelter color 32 Snowbound. If you would like your sweater to be in this color, order the kit above using the pull-down menu to select your size. If you would like to pick your own color, see our Shelter page to view the options. Then return to this page, order the kit, and tell us your color choice in the box above.